Saturday, November 12, 2005

"Left on 2"
















Those were the directions to the gig last friday night. Just head towards Navasota from Hempstead & Take a left on FM 2 & it's the 4th driveway on the right.

I went out to Brookshire and cut over on 359 through Pattison & Monaville. It was much more relaxing drive than I would usually have going through Hoston rush hour traffic for an early Friday night gig.

It was a good opportunity to get a good listen to Neil Young's latest CD which Larry Jackson gave me. Larry is a friend from work who is a huge music and Neil Young fan. I have seen Neil twice this century and both times went with Larry. The first time was in the Summit/Compaq Center/Lakewood Church venue with CSN&Y, & the second time was the Greendale Conert at Cynthia Woods Pavillion.

This record was the perfect soundtrack for my commute. It is amazing how rural it gets so close to home. It really makes you remember that you are in Texas.

Neil does have a band backing him up on this CD but he plays acoustic guitar and it sounds like Vintage Neil.

I had read an article in a magazine that he had recorded the first three songs between the time he was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and the operation. He also wrote & recorded the songs in the order they are presented. He actually would write the lyrics the night before and then run through the song with the other musicians the next day at the recording session. What an Amazing Dude. I hope Lynyrd Skynyrd will remember that we really do "need him around anyhow"

The gig was at the Haven Hill Farm which is a nice place. It is on rolling hills and has a lake, lots of horses, pastures, & stables. When I got there I saw my old freind Dennis Ginn who was in charge of entertainment for the party & had hired me for the event. His wife Nancy & son Bill were there also & Nancy was going to be competing in the Carriage Driving competition the next day. He had a sound system arleady set up with Asleep at the Wheel cranking out the Western Swing. They served up dinner & drinks & I played for about 30 minutes & then they had a drawing and an Auction & then I played for about another hour or so. About 8 of the people there had enough to drink that they wanted to dance and there was one dude, "Dr Bill" who was leading the way.

The staff were all very nice folks and Mario hung out with me while I loaded up my stuff. He lives at the farm and had recently broken his hand when he got attacked by a Pit Bull in Navasota.

No comments: