Thursday, May 03, 2012

Render unto Texas...



A few months back or so I got the notice to replace the license sticker that goes on the inside of the windshield on the car.   I forgot about it and when I remembered, I realized I had been driving around for about a month with expired plates.

Today I went over to the Clay Road Courthouse Annex and stood in line.  They have the little poles with the ribbon shaped ropes that form a the meandering line deviders so everybody can work thier way through when it is crowded.  It was crowded today but the line moved pretty well so I have to say that they are doing thier job over there.

When I got there, there was an Asian fellow getting out of a car as I walked in.  He came in and got in line right behind me.   He appeared to be in a hurry becuase he kept standing right behind me.  Litterally about 2 inches away.   I tried doing a sidestep to the other side and then he just moved up right next to me and I looked at him and told him to go ahead if he was in a hurrry.  He just grinned and stepped right in front of me.  This was in the first section of the line and I didn't want him breathing on my neck the whole way through.  It may have seemed like an act of kindness but it was actually pretty rude that I put him behind the next guy.  The guy who was now in front of him was a white guy that looked like he probably drove a pick-up truck and isn't ever going to vote for Obama.  The asian dude, who was probably about 55 or 60 just stepped right up and started tailgating the white guy who was about a foot and a half taller.   I could tell pretty quickly that it was getting on his nerves because he tried the same thing I did which was to look back at the guy and see if he could stare him off a little.  It didn't work.  The white dude apparantly then just decided not to react any more but when we got to the final section of the line, he finally couldn't stand it anymore and told the guy not to stand so close to him. 

The funny thing was that when we got to the front, a lady called out for the next person doing a renewal to come on up.  There were about 7 people in front of me and all of them, including the close standing asian guy,  must of had some other sort of business because I was able to go on ahead and get processed while they waited for a window to open up that could help them.

Like many of the previous stories here on the one man web log I don't know the moral of this particular story but it sure was nice not to have they guy standing so close to me the whole way through the line.  I was really surprised by how eager he was just to step right in front of me when I offered.   I doubt he even gave it  as second thought.

No comments: