Friday, December 31, 2010

savings by design

Today I was sitting out back on my lawn furniture. I may not have mentioned it before but last year we bought som new lawn furniture. The iron kind that is painted black. The chair is suspendeded by a spring type peice of metal on each side and it forms a rocker that doesn't smash the dog's or thier toes.

So far our collection has just one piece which is the chair but as far as I am concerned, it is a great collection when you want to sit down under the outdoor ceiling fan.

Today I was taking a break out back and there was a squirrel burrying acorns from my neighbor's Oak Tree. I have seen the squirrels carrying acorns back and forth for some time now as they get ready for the winter but today is the first time I saw on doing any burying. I guess they wait until there is a good rain and the ground is soft.

It was kind of amazing to watch. It looked like the squirrel was regurtitating the acorns. I would see a convulsive type movement and I could see a lump int he squirrels cheek/throat area as it was happening. I am going to have to read up on the interenet to find out more about it but at this point I am going to have to say that my research results are that squirrels actually regurgitate the acorns.

The squirrel would look around, find a good spot, and then do some digging and convulsing and the next thing you know he was pushing the acorn into the ground with a borroughing motion and then he had a routine where he put the dirt back and patted it down. I guess they have a sectin of thier brain dedicated to remembering where they buried the acorns later on.

It is pretty amazing how nature works. I am sure it is all part of a bigger picture where the Oak trees produce acorns the scquirrels will like and the squirrels plant the acorns and forget to get some or maybe the squirrel dies or whatever. The bottom line is that the squirrel gets some food and the Oak Tree gets it's seeds distributed over a greater distance.

I imagine you are asleep by now so enjoy your nap.

No comments: