Saturday, August 07, 2010

The power of marketing


The heat has been hot for several days now but we finally got some rain. I know I am sounding like an old person but we needed it. The other exciting thing was that I got to check and see how my gutter repairs worked out around my patio cover. We had a pretty good shower and everything was beautiful. Water started coming out where it was supposed to and I was so proud. Then all of the sudden there was a drip near the door. Then it turned into drops and then all of the suddent almost a stream. Also there was a little coming down along the side of the chimney. Don't get me started on the chimney. I would rather have a window there but right now I got a long rectangualar monstrosity with two by fours on the corners and the cheap siding that Pulte homes used to use. Nowadays I they use hardyplank.
OK, back to the humidity. It was pretty miserable. My dream of sitting under the patio cover and enjoying a refreshing summer show came tumbling down and instead water was splattering all over the place.
After the rain stopped, I waited a while and went outside and got the ladder and got up there to have a look to see what happened. I had a pretty good idea that it was the rain gutter holding water since the water kept dripping even 15 minutes or so after the rain. It turned out I was right. There was not enough slant to allow the water to drain out of the gutter and there was also a leak at the joint right above where it was dripping. I had put some sealer in the joints but I missed one side and also the end cap that butts up to the wonderful chimney.
It took a while but I finally got it pulled loose and didn't tear it up too band. I hammered it back in and gave it enough pitch to stop the water from pooling. I could tell because there was still standing water and once I made the adjustment, It drained out. Thank you gravity.
While I was eating some chili and rice a commercial came on and the announcer came on and and said "Come see George at the Verizon" and then a guy was talking and It sounded likc George Costanza from Seinfeld. I looked the screen and there was a guy dancing around in a monkey suit.
So there you have it. While the rest of us are sitting around watching TV, eating chili, and fooling around in the gutter, Some genius figured out that they could put a guy in a monkey suit and sell tickets. There is still hope for America afterall.

No comments: