Monday, October 08, 2007

"Show some Respect"

Loyd's comment on the last post about Benny Valereo made me think of something.

Benny Valereo Passed away back in January of 2006. I had posted something on this blog right before the funeral.

Benny was a Texas Blues Guitar player & he regularly hosted blues jams here on the west side of town. That is how I knew him.

I wrote out a post about him about the time he died & he is someone that I find myself thinking about from time to time.

Benny was the kind of guy who would not hold back when he talked to people. There was nothing phoney about him. Not from my perspective anyway. Whenever I played at his blues jam it would usually be Danny Velereo, Benny's brother playing bass. It was always a cool feeling if Benny would walk up to the stage in the middle of the set and pick up his guitar and start playing along. Hanging out with him & Danny was always a good feeling. They would sometimes play a game of pool & they seem to be pretty serious about it.

Speaking of Pool, There was one time when I first started my One Man Band that I had a one-time kind of gig at a place called Forgetabout it II. It had previously been called the Landing Zone and before that "The Horseshoe" I think it was the first place I met Benny & his band.

When I first got the the gig, There were a group of pool players sitting in the spot that was going to be the stage area for me so I let them know and they moved there chairs a little bit. I brought in the rest of my equipment and went ahead and asked them if I could go ahead and set up. The pool tables were right behind the stage area and they were there for a pool tournament.

There was one guy that was more vocal than the rest but as a group they made it known that they didn't care for live music during thier tournament. After I played and took a break they started being a little nicer. The one guy who was giving me a hard time came up and told me that he thought I was going to be too loud and he didn't really apologize but he started talking to me and being a little more friendly. It turned out that his daughter had been one of the musicians who I knew from Benny's jam and I had jammed with her several times.

Benny had showed up at this gig and was pretty quiet for the most part. He drank a couple of beers and kind of stood off to the side and just watched. During my break I told him how the pool players were being rude to me and then they seemed to warm up a little after I started playing.

He told me that he had had a word with them. I asked him what he said to them & he said that he had told them to "show some respect".

I think that was the only time he saw my one man band but it meant a hell of alot to me that he had taken the time to stop by & also that he was gave enough of a shit to look out for me at my gig.

No comments: