Friday, October 19, 2007

Don't mess with Karma


Lately I have been thinking about what I call the Punk Rock Vibe (PRV). It is a state of mind that I would try to bring to a live performance but it is also sort of like Enlightenment from the standpoint that with the true PRV, A person would not care about what other people think so much.


It worked for Bob Dylan when he decided to go Electric. The folk crowd would boo him for playing electric music but he did it anyway.


Of course Bob Dylan was already famous when he decided to not care. Before that I think he did care. He would make up stories that he had been playing music and learning from all these obscure blues and folk artist when in reality they were just poeple that happened to be on a collection of records that he stole from another dude that condidered him to be a friend. I am not saying this to trash Bob Dylan either. I am a Bob Dylan fan and would be honored if he stole something from me.


I think part of what the PRV is about is not Selling Out.


It is hard not to sell out at some level if you want to play live music and make money. I guess the money part is where you have to sell out.


I guess the true PRV could be attained by playing live music in the forest and if your guitar fell over and you had your ears covered up then it would be a question if it really fell over or if maybe you were just drunk and they found you playing guitar in the forest. You see what I mean? It isn't all that simple.



No comments: