Saturday, October 27, 2007

Down at the Balinese (revisited)


Thursday Night I went over to the Continental Club to meet my friend Eddy to check a band called the B Side Players. They are a touring band that plays Latin, Reggae, & world type music. It is a nine piece outfit with a couple of horn players, a drummer, a percussionist, a conga player, keyboard player, bass player, a back up singer, and a lead singer who is the lead vocalist. They are a good band it was relaxing to get to hear them play.


Little Joe Washington stopped by for a minute & talked to the bartender but he left right after that. It was good to see that he is looking OK.


On my way over there, I took a wrong turn on Main street and was sitting at a light and I noticed 4 young blonde headed girls that jumped out in the street and stopped a car that was taking a turn onto Main. I then noticed that a dude had passed out in the street and they had pretty much just saved his life since the car was about to roll right over him. It was good to see that some people still give a shit. They ended up moving him off the street and I doubt he will ever know that somebody cared enough to look out for him. He seemed a little upset to be interupted from his nap but it didn't take him long to get back to sleep.


The Lone Star Biker Rally is coming up next week and I will be playing on the Opening day at the Balinese Room Seawall Bar. I had played there once before when Jon Steel put on a slideshow featuring his surf photography & there was also a band called Herbn'Pipeline (urban pipeline). I was the opening act & it turned out to be a very cool gig. I think it is going to be the same lineup this Dec 21st down in Corpus Christi at the Executive Surf Club which I hear is very nice. I am looking forward to that gig.


The Balinese Room is probably mostly remembered these days becuase of the ZZ TOP song "Down at the Balinese" which was on the Fandango Album. It has an interesting history and was once a hangout of Howard Hughes and Frank Sinatra used to sing there also. You can read about it on Wikipedia.



The Lone Star Biker Rally is a big event and the Island will be crowded so I am thinking there should be alot of business. I guess I will find out on Thursday.


Saturday November 3rd I have another interesting Gig up in the Country at a private party & will be the opening act for a country singer named Davin James. I have never heard him before so I am looking forward to that.


I am also looking foward to playing at the Gravity Bar tomorrow. The weather should be nice & I really enjoy playing at the Gravity Bar. Part of the fun for me is that I never know what or who to expect. There are usually some tourists & it is interesting to meet poeple from different parts of the country. I consider the Target Market there to be Humanity. If you are out that way, Stop on by.



Thanks,


Marc

No comments: