Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tuesday night Blues Jam

Seems like they should call it Tuesnight.

Something about the Day/Night combonation.

It doesn't seem to work for Sunday. The Sun/Night clash is obvious so the rule of common sense would apply. I like FriNight & WedNight (pronounced WesNight) but Monday is still going to have to be Monday Night.

I willl see if I can organize group of scholars to make it official.


They have had a blues jam on Tuesday nights down the street at the Abbey Pub. It used to be called Jeff's Sports Bar but he sold it and the new owner re-designed it and tore out the bar and a wall and made open all the way accross the bar is on the side instead of the middle.

I got there after 10:30 & I think what was the House band was still playing but a jammer or two sitting in. There was a dude in the middle of the stage playing bongos but I couldn't really hear him. They had him miked but I think the bongos were not close enough. I found myself watching him play and imagining what it would sound like.

I didn't know the drummer but I met him and he was a nice guy. Larry (from all the House Bands) was playing Bass. He is really good. That is about the best way I know how to say it. The young guy they call AppleHead was playing guitar and Orq Hisown Self was also playing Guitar. I don't know Orq but I am a fan of his music.

Barry Felt was there, a drummer dude I have know for maybe 7 or 8 years from the Blues Jams. I think I met him at the Shakespeare Pub but he used to also hang out the Jam Sessions that the 420 Band hosted in NW Houston.

I got to play a few tunes with Barry & Larry. It was great fun. Barry is really getting good at the blues shuffle on drums & Larry is an absolutely fabulous Bass Player. He has played with some of the best acts around town.

There were a couple of other "Jammers" there. They got up and played guitar & Harmonica & sang several tunes & then it was over.

No comments: