Monday, October 23, 2006

Memorial Drive

I stopped by the Shakespeare Pub Sunday night for a couple of hours. Not a whole lot of customers but there were a few musicians. I played a few tunes with the house band members but it was not the House Band set. Little Screamin Kenny was showing me a guitar that he is thinking about purchasing & he wanted to play it so he sat in. Spare Time Murry is also the host of the jam was playing bass guitar and MC, Matt, was playing drums. A dude named Flash came up after a while and played keyboards.

It was kind of a fun jam. I started out with a Screamin Kenny Standard, "Too Tall to Mambo" I had never played it before in a band setting but I knew the words from hearing him do it quite a few times over the years.

It was louder than what I would normally play & there was no monitor so it was kind of hard to hear the vocals but I am better at dealing with that than I used to be. It is just kind of wierd to have to imagine what something sounds like instead of actually hearing it.

I was playing through my 15 watt Fender Blues Junior & it wasn't really cutting through real well with all the other bigger amps but there was planty of music coming from all the other guys that it wasn't a big deal. It was probably louder than it sounded to me since I was standing in front of the drums.

There was a dude who played before me that just plugged his guitar into the house amp with out turning any dials or tuning it up. It was kind of funny that he almost didn't play becuase he couldn't get his guitar case open. Thats the kind of entertainment you can get at these jam sessions. I find it better than TV.

Even when a jammer is really bad. It can be entertaining. It is more entertainment if the are really bad or Bad enough to be good.

I know when I first started going to the Jam Sessions over 12 years ago, I probably provided some of that type of "good" entertainment.

I have seen some pretty good players show up at Jam Sessions. Over the years at the Shakespeare Pub I have seen Chris Duarte, Michael Williams, Carollyn Wonderland, Joe Guitar Hughes, & quite a few other notables.

OK I gotta go.

No comments: