Monday, October 16, 2006

Carvin Amplifier

My fellow Earthlings.

How do you do?

About 3 years ago in December I sent off for a Carvin Bass Amplifier. It is a relatively small amp. 100 Watts and a 15 inch speaker. It has been a good value and I have gotten good use out of it. I use it to practice and have used it for all fom my live One Man Band Shows & also about a dozen full band gigs also.

The bass guitar that I use has active pick-ups. I didn't plan to have active pick-ups or even think about it. It just happened that the Bass Guitar that I ended up with has em. There are some electronics inside the guitar and it uses one of those square 9 volt batteries. I think it is becuase of the active pick-ups that I get feed back when the bass guitar is close to the amp. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if I played the regular way. At least I don't think it would. To deal with this problem I have to place the amp at a certain distance and it seems to take care of it. The problem with having the amp off at a distance is that I can not reach over and adjust the volume or tone during the song. & even between songs it doesn't really work to have to get up, walk over, and make adjustments.

It is what is called a "Combo" amp. It has the amplifer and the speaker in one unit.

I decided to build a box tha would hold the amplifer part and run a speaker wire to the speaker. It will allow me to place it on the stage and be able to reach over and make adjustments much easier during the gig.

Today I went to Home Depot and bought a board, some wood glue and some screws and made a box and it seems to work like that just fine. I haven't painted it yet. I was thinking of painting it black but I am not sure I want to take it apart and paint it.

It will be a big help at certian times. One exmaple would be when I start playing & the venue doesn't have alot of poeple but then a crowd starts to build up.

People actually have a big effect on the acoustics of a room/venue. They actually absorb some of the sound or deaden it a little & some situations there is a lot of chatter. In a situation like that I would need to turn up the volume on all the instruments.

I guess the other situation is if I run all the customers off and need to turn it down.

No comments: