Wednesday, April 04, 2012

I wasn't the only one who noticed

This morning I posted about the federal judge issuing what appeared to be a partisan order.  It appears that I wasn't the only one who got that impression:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/jerry-smith-obama-rebuke-questioned-legal-experts-213822371.html


..."I know and respect Judge Smith...But I am surprised to see a request to the Justice Department asking them to explain their views on judicial review," said Jeffries, a former clerk to Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell. "My position would be that judicial review is judicial review, whether you like it or not."
Other scholars concurred. University of Chicago Professor Geoffrey Stone told Yahoo News in an email that Obama wasn't actually questioning judicial review, but was cautioning the judges to remember the other branches of government. "Judge Smith's response was, in my view, quite inappropriate," he said. "It was an unmistakably political act that was well beyond the proper bounds of the judicial role."...

Too bad we don't have more judges like Sanders Sauls, the Democrat judge who ruled against Al Gore in the Florida election fiasco.   He understood that the responsibility placed on him was bigger than his own political viewpoint.

No comments: