Thursday, April 26, 2012

Houston Museum of Fine Arts




http://www.mfah.org/

Click the link directly above to see the museum's web site.

They have free admission on Thursdays and also later hours.   We stopped by today & it seemed quite different from the last time I was there which was several years back.  There are two separate buildings and one of them houses displays of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and also Native American Art as well as some others that I can't remember right now.  They had a very nice persian rug in one room.  Across the street was a building that had Roman statues and also an ornately decorated coffin for a Roman general.   That is also the building with the paintings.   They really do have some good stuff over there and I would highly recommend a visit if you haven't been lately.  They also have a very attentive staff to make sure the art is not damaged or touched.  They also don't allow flash pictures in some areas and other areas they don't allow pictures at all.  There was one section with large paintings with biblical themes and there was one in particular that  I would have liked to take a picture of but it wasn't allowed.  I forgot the name of the artist so I have not been able to find it online but it was a scene with Solomon and the two mothers claiming ownership of the same baby.  There was also a dead baby and the dispute was who belonged to the live baby.  Of course Solomon in is wisdom is holding his sword over the baby getting ready to find out who the real mother is.  

Overall, most everything that I saw struck me as a bonified museum piece and I can only imagine the actual dollar value of some of the stuff on display.   Last time I went I saw a Van Gough and I am pretty sure they still own it but today the only ones I really recognized were the ones by Picasso.  They also had several from artists who tried to paint in the style of Picasso. 

In one section they had a child mummy in a glass display that alone was worth the visit.   I still have to go back because it was hard to move fast enough to take it all in properly.

The display of Native American art was not as extensive as I would have liked but it was truly amazing.  


The bottom line is that if you are near Houston you should check out the museums even if you don't think you would be interested.   Once you get there, you definitely realize that it is cool looking stuff and a good way to pass the time.    One tip I can give you is not to try to eat lunch around the museum district because there isn't much there. 



This one above is a Rembrandt that is owned by the Museum. 


Above is a pot from around 500 BC.  I noticed another smaller one in this section that had three legs also.




No comments: