Friday, April 21, 2006

Robert Johnson Photograph Expert























If I had a collection of every picture ever taken of the Beatles and had studied the content of the images then I think it would be fair to call myself an "Expert" on Beatles Pictures.


I have done that with Robert Johnson Pictures. I even named the pictures. The one on the left is called "Hat" & the one on the right is called "Cigarette". I don't bother to reference Robert Johnson in the individual photo anymore than they use J_FKs Name when they mention the Zapruder film.

As far as the general public knows there are just two known photos of Robert Johnson in existance. I personally think there is probably at least one more sitting in a photo album somewhere and the person who owns it has no clue of how much money it would be worth.

I was listening to Mr Robert Johnson on my record player a couple of weeks back & also took the time to read the back of the Record Jacket. I already knew that he had only recorded about 30 songs but I never realized that he had recorded them in Texas or if I did, It never really hit me. According to the liner notes of the Columbia release: "Robert Johnson/King of the Delta Blues Singers" He did five sessions. Three in San Antonio in 1936 and two in Dallas in 1937.


As much as people think of him as a guitar player & he obviously was a gerat one, I think the name of the Record is correct. He was really a great blues singer. His recordings have been the biggest influence on modern blues and rock & Roll. If you listen The Rolling Stones, Elmore James, Eric Clapton or Led Zepplin versions (& others that have covered him also) It is clear that what is copied most often is the vocals, lyrics, phasing, & fill comments. There was a blues revival in the 60s and many guitar players since then also have copied his playing but it did not have the mainstream influence as the vocals.

This may all be old news to you but it is something that I am just now picking up on.


With all that said, I have decided to try and take the time to work on learning more Robert Johnson on guitar.

No comments: