Saturday, April 15, 2006

Here is your tip Asshole

One of the things I used to like about Luby's was that you didn't have to give a tip. I don't begrudge anybody making a living but part of the value part of eating at certain establishments is that it is a good value. If you eat a 5 or 6 dollar meal and then have to give a tip, It raises the price of the whole dining experience about 20%. Still, If I go to Luby's and get all of my food on a tray and drinks also, I don't really feel like I want to meet my "server" when they come up to the table and tell me thier name, etc. I am sure they are all nice people but I just want to eat my lunch and leave.

The Chinese buffets are about the same except they do bring you a fortune cookie with your check.


What about Sonic? You park your car, Push a button, Order your food & they bring it to you in a bag. How much tip should someone get for bringing it out to the car? I have brought up the tipping at Sonic issue with several folks I know and find that poeple are about split on tipping at Sonic (at all)

If the person at Sonic is going to get a tip, then why not give one to the Cashier at the Grocery Store or Walmart? That is a hell of alot more work that carrying a bag of hamburgers out to a car.


My general rule on tipping at a restaurant is that if they take the order and bring it without too much of a wait or mishap & also keep the drinks refilled (or even just bring me a big ol glass even better) they deserve the standard tip rounded up to the nearest dollar. If they have good waiter/waitress skills and make the dining experience even better, then they deserve more. Also if it is a cheap meal but the service is good, then the tip should not be limited to 15%.

Part of what really sucks about getting bad service is sitting there trying to decide about how to handle the tip. It makes me feel like a mooch not to leave something but at the same time why should I pay extra to get treated like crap?

No comments: