Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Telephone pole blues

When the last hurricane was passing by, I noticed that the phone pole behind my next door neighbor's house was damaged. It was rocking back and forth in the wind. I called the power company and they finally came out (today) and replaced it.

They shut down the power for several hours while they did the repair.

I passed the time by playing acoustic guitar. I have the window blocked off in room where I practice to block out the sound so it is pretty dark even in the daytime so I lit a candle to have a little light.

It made me think about what it must have been like for the old blues dudes that didn't have electricity. Also, since I wasn't able to watch TV, Check Email, or listen to the stereo, It made me realize that they probably spent a little more time playing guitar just to pass the time. There wasn't much else to do so I played longer than I would have if the power had been on.

This wasn't like Huge revelation for me but it at the same time it did make me think.

I always assumed that musicians nowadays had an advantage because of all the technology available but it made me wonder if technology isn't more of a distraction also.

I ended up getting a work related call on my cell phone and it blew the whole mood.

No comments: