Monday, April 16, 2007

The Bo Diddley Beat

Week before last I was at Guitar Center on my day off from work. I was browsing in the Percussion section & found a pair of small maracas fo $10.

When I got home I tried to figure out a way to play a maraca along with my one man band. I really wanted to figure out away to use my hand since that would give the natural sound.

I experimented for a while and really couldn't come up with a way to hold it and still be able to play gutiar. I took one of them and sawed the handle off and put some tape on it to make it easier to hold & it was much better.


I have played two shows now using the additional sound and I am very happy about it.

I am able to hit percussion sounds on parts of the beat that I was not able to hit with my bass drum/snare drum configuration.

I think this is a biggest one-man-band break through than I have had since maybe adding the Bass Drum.


Thanks for tuning in.

1 comment:

Michael-Ann said...

You mean you actually had some part of a bodily appendage left to attach the maraca too?!!!! I have GOT to come see you play again!