Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Zildjian


Howdy,

I was out last night to put up some flyers at the Vintage Bar for the show there Next Week. I was kind of excited to see that Hamilton Loomis is going to be doing a show there October 19th. I don't know Hamilton but I used to have his first tape which I won by being the right caller during a blues program on KPFT about 10 years ago.

It would be cool to see him in a setting like the Vintage Bar.
After that I had another errand to run and was driving by the Big Easy and saw Jeremiah Johnson's Truck parked out there so I snapped that it his regular night to play ther so I stopped in but they were just going on break. He has a guitar player and a Bass player plus him on acoustic guitar also & they are doing a sort of unplugged thing. I hung around and chatted with the band and waited till they went back on and listened to about 5 songs. It was good music & it always relaxes me to hear good live music. Jeremiah used to host a blues jam out in the Katy area at Einstiens and I went to it almost every Sunday night for about a year. It was good to see what he is up too and as I told him last night, He does good at what ever setting he decides to use. He does alot of good original tunes & he has one in particular that was very good. I don't remember what the tune was called but it was about what someone feels like after they kill someone. It was sort of a country sounding song ala Thunder Road but has a mix of alternative rock with the vocal riffs also. I am going to have to make it over there when I have more time so I can kick back and relax & listen to more of the show.

Today, I stopped by my local Katy area H&H Music store and was very upset to see that it is closing down. They got bought out and they told me that there is a very good chance that it will re-open after the liquidation.

I went in to get some picks and was planning to get two packages which cost about $4 with the starving musician discount. Most of the inventory is already gone so I had to look around and check the sale prices. I looked for a bass amp & also PA Equipment but most of it was gone. I found the 18" Zildjian symbol that I had been eyeing for the past year. It is a 200 & something dollar item (retail) & they had it for just over a hundred so I had to buy it. I really didn't have the money but I just couldn't pass on it.

I is very excited.

I am now going to go home for lunch and see what it sounds like. I would like to get a chance to practice with it a little before playing at Whiskys Pub in Galveston tomorrow but it really won't matter since I am used to hitting the 14" Zildjian Symbol that I alrleady have. I am sure that it is going to sound great.

The biggest thing I need to figure out is what configuration to use. I may just substitute it for the 14" symbol or if it sounds good enough, I might try using it with my drum stick contraption that I wrote about here a month or so back.

Or just come to a show this month and you can see for yourself. I have been playing alot in Galveston lateley but I do have some September Shows in Houston Also. The Vintage Bar on Thursday the 14th and The Stagshead Pub on Saturday the 23rd. Or come on out to Galveston on Sunday Afternoon and check out the Gravity Bar on the Strand or if you are out on a Thursday, I will be at Whiskys Pub tomorrow & then again in two weeks. Check the schedule on my website. If a gig gets cancelled, I will update it there.

So as Marvin Zindler always says, Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever makes you happy!

4 comments:

Michael-Ann said...

Congrats on your latest aquisition!

i can't wait till i get a chance to hear/see you play again.

Last night while setting up for an art opening I overheard a piece of a conversation about a women in the Houston area who apparently plays multiple instruments at the same time... of course I thought of you.

really blows me away how you can do that.

Years ago, a friend who was a drummer, tried to teach me his art and I just couldn't separate my appendages like that! At some point in my life i simply had to come to terms with the fact that the only thing I would ever play is the radio. Cheers!

MarcTwyman said...

Hi Michael-Ann,

I haven't head about that woman. I promise that I have not been going out in drag and doing a one-woman-band.

But if I did, I guess I would not admit to it.

Maybe I should give it some though, I could expand my target market.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, I am afraid that it would hurt my feelings if all of the sudden I started having Groupies. Especially if they had hairy arms.

By the way, I have been stopping by your blog also but haven't had anything meaningful to add & I know you have very strict standards over there.

Michael-Ann said...

indeed! :)

I hate (and yet i must!) to wax yuppy-Buddhist but it seems at times the meaningless holds the most insightful of meanings.

On another note... so did you go straight to the punch and put the new cymbal through its first paces at your show?

MarcTwyman said...

Yeah,

I used it quite a bit. I was basically doing the same thing with the symbol I had before but this on has a little deeper tone & the sound seems to carry a little better also.

It might sound like a subtle difference but I think it is one of those cases where a subtle difference is also huge. To me anyway.


Thanks for asking.