Monday, March 26, 2012

SCOTUS

The Supreme Court is in the news today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303404704577305362846327828.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

They are going to hear arguments on "Obamacare" and rule on its constitutionality. I have mixed feelings on government healthcare. I do feel like that as a country that had the resources to invade & occupy Iraq & Afghanistan and to send out billions in foriegn aid, we should have a responsibility to provide basic needs for our own citizens. Our country was founded on based at least partly on Puritan principles and taking care of the poor is about as basic as it gets when it comes to the golden rule. However, I do not like the type of service I get when I go to the Post Office and I can only imagine what Governement Healthcare could evolve into.

There is no question that partisanship has take a front seat to patriotism here lately but I see more of that in the Executive and Legislative brances. According to the constitution Congress is in charge of spending money. The president cannot spend a dime (in theory) without Congressional authorization. When I hear members of Congress attacking the president about his budget, I always wonder why they are not attacking thier own branch of government since Congress actually has to sign the checks.

I know there is some ideological differences between the members of the court but I am comfortable with that and have generally felt good about how the Justices have been conducting thier business and have full confidence they will issue a decision that is based on the law. I am not convinced that it will be purely non-partisan but I have made a decision in advance to respect thier ruling, whichever way it goes.

No comments: