Monday, May 08, 2006

Global Warming

This past weekend was pretty busy for me. I had a gig Friday Night, Worked at my Day Job for 9 hours on Saturday, & then had a gig Saturday Night also.

I woke up Sunday and relaxed for a little while & then spent about an hour or so unloading my equipment from the truck and setting it up in my practice room. After that I headed over to Lowes & Home Depot and picked up some Insulation for my attic and some Wind Turbine Roof Vents (like from back in the 70s) plus a few other odds & ends. The AC guy who checked out our styem and added freon last year recommened that we get the turbine vents. I also bought some roofers caulk/tar stuff, some rope, & some breathig masks to wear in the attic when I was doing the insulation.

My house already had three roof vents so all I had to do was get up on the roof and carefully remove them without tearing up the shingles. The vents I bought are made of aluminum and came in two parts. I went ahead and assmebled them on the ground and then carried them up to the roof and installed them (one at a time). Luckily I didn't run into one of those typical problems that seem to arise when a job is expected to be simple.

One thing I decided to do this time was to tie a rope on front of my house and throw it over & use it to hold onto while I was walking around. It was only rated for 50 pounds but I wasn't putting that much weight on it. My roof has a pretty good pitch in the back so it was nice to have something to hold to help stabelize while I was carrying the Turbines, Tools, Nails, roofing caulk and & stuff like that.

I got the vents installed without falling off the roof and then started working in the attic. I bought several bags of enviromentally friendly insulation. They are kind of bricked up and made to go in a blower machine. I didn't rent a machine so I was using an old broom to break them up and spread them around in the section of attic over my garage. It is an attached garage & shares the same attic as the rest of the house. The garage usually gets so hot in the summer that you could literally pass out.

I got the insulation done & was not exactly nice and fresh so I took a shower & we took the dogs out for a walk except I rode my bicycle.

When I came home from work today, the first thing I did was go to the garage to see if it was any cooler & then I went to the attic. The most noticeable difference was in the attic but the garage was better also.

I was really proud of myself.

I may not save the planet but the way engergy costs are going, I am sure it is going to pay off this summer.

Well there you have it. A few days in the life of Marc Twyman, a dude that sometimes refers to himself in third person.

Now I sleep!


But I will get back up and continue to fight Karaoke and all other forms of pure evil.

No comments: